In 1923, the Allentown Police Band was formed with Charles Fenstermaker as the director. In 1926, the Allentown Police Band reorganized as Klingler's Municipal Band with Mr. Klingler as its director. At Mr. Klingler's death in 1932, Harry R. Newhard, who was assistant director since 1928, became the next conductor. In 1941, another reorganization took place. Under its new charter, the band became the Municipal Band of Allentown, Inc. as it is still known today. Mr. Newhard remained director for a total of 30 years until 1962. His successor was Albert Geary, promoted from assistant director, who remained in the position until 1972. At that time, Richard Hinkle became the musical director until 2002. Towards the end of 2002, Assistant Director Richard Steltz became the band's current director. The Municipal Band of Allentown celebrated its 75th Anniversary in 1998 with a concert at Cedar Crest College. The band performs around the City of Allentown and throughout the Lehigh Valley area, performing a variety of musical styles ranging from marches, Broadway show tunes, orchestral transcriptions, and concert band literature.